Thursday, September 4, 2008

What does it mean to be a Democrat?

Driving home from music lessons I heard the last part of a program called "Behind Party Lines" on MPR. They were interviewing some delegates and volunteers on what it meant to be a Republican. It was interesting. I suppose I would call myself a Democrat but I try to keep an open mind and listen to what the Republicans are saying. I think Republicans do make some good points occasionally or at least what they say in their speeches sounds good. (of course that might just be what they're saying and not doing but I haven't researched enough to say yet)
So anyway, back to Behind Party Lines. I was listening to the last few minutes of part two, interviewing Republicans. It sounded interesting so when I got home I looked up part one, interviewing Democrats, online. The main question asked by the show's producers (Jeff Horwich, Micheal Caputo and Stephanie Curtis) to both parties was, "What does it mean to be a Democrat/Republican?" The interview focused on that question, not so much on the different issues, though plenty of issues came up in conversation.
The main points the democrats made were, being a democrat means:
  • working for social justice
  • speaking out for those who can't speak for themselves
  • living your faith and political beliefs
  • being a servant to those you have authority over
  • freedom of religion
And the closing statement one of the delegates made was that "we can all agree to disagree" 

In my very limited knowledge and in very general terms, this is how I think of the democratic party's philosophy.
  • Anti Iraq war
  • More government sponsored programs
  • Universal Health Care
  • Higher taxes on higher income people, lower taxes on lower income people
  • Pro Choice
  • Stricter gun control
Like I said, this is a very, very rough and simple view and I will probably look back on this and cringe at my ignorance but this is what I know as of this moment. 

I'm going to listen to the full interview of the Republicans and hopefully get some good material. 

By the way, the third day of the republican national convention is taking place maybe a mile or two from my house. It's a very exciting time in politics right now.

Here's the link to the Behind Party Lines webpage if anybody's interested.

1 comment:

Aaron Grimm said...

Of course, I found this post interesting. I think it is important for students to start looking at both sides of politics and to form opinions based on what they take in. It is an exciting time in politics, because it seems like more people are getting interested, which is vital in a democracy.

Keep the posts coming, I will try to keep up. I like the look of the blog, it is easy to read.