Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A word if you please, Mr. President?

Today I filled out a survey to send to Barack Obama's new administration. It was about education. The survey question was, If you were the new president and education was your number one priority, what is one thing you would change in the current school system? (not that exact wording but I can't remember exactly how it went)

I didn't know exactly what to say. There's a lot of stuff that the school system could do better. Perhaps the first thing though would be to get people to stop dropping out of high school. It's going to be harder and harder to get a job if you don't have a high school diploma. Right now it's hard for people with a college degree to get jobs.
It would also be nice if the school system was more flexable. I like the school I'm in because it's project based and I can work towards my strengths and interests. I don't think I would do well in a traditional school setting and I'm sure there are a lot of students like me.

There's a lot of stuff to work on, lots of stuff to fix, but also lots of new and exciting ideas to play with. I don't envy the people in charge of education, but I'm sure their jobs will be 'interesting'.

No comments: