Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NaNoWriMo!!! The Insantiy of November!!


It's October 28, only four more days until November!!! Or five, or three, depending on how you count. I don't know.

What's so exciting about November?!! After all, it's only another month, and a month with bad weather at that, right? WRONG!!! November is the month were thousands of formerly sane people take leave of their minds and begin a month long sabbatical into insanity. They will all attempt to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. And I am proud to say that I am one of them.

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) was started in July of 1999 by Chris Baty in the San Fransisco Bay area. That first year there were 21 participants. In 2007 there were over 100,000 participants from around the world!

The goal of NaNoWriMo is quantity not quality. It doesn't matter how horrible your writing is. You just write and write and write and get all your ideas out. You can go back and fix it later for just for one month the focus is just on writing and no editing.

I did it last year and it was really fun!!!! So now I'm doing it again. No doubt there is some corner of my brain that is yelling at me for being so crazy, but at least for now, I can't hear it. Perhaps I'll think differently when it's 3:00am on November 29th and I still have 5000 words to go, but I don't think so. I like writing and no matter what happens on this insane journey I'm sure I'll have fun.

I should warn you, posts here will probably be pretty slim during the month of November. I'll be crazily typing away at my novel, but I'll try to write a quick post now and then just to let you know I'm still alive.

No comments: