Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ready - Set - COOK!!!


Photographed at the IKA International Culinary Olympics
Erfurt, Germany

(How on earth are you supposed to eat that thing?)
From October 19th to the 22nd chefs from 53 countries will compete in Erfurt, Germany in the Culinary Olympics.

I had no idea such a thing existed. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since competition and food always seem to go together. Who can cook the best apple pie? Who has the best stuffing? Iron Chef America on Food Network. And all sorts of increasingly weird competitions. After all that, Culinary Olympics sound be no surprise.

The chefs will compete in teams for their countries, creating huge masterpieces of sugar shaped like dragons or dainty plates of carefully placed appetizers. Surprisingly enough, most of their points come from presentation and style, taste accounting for a small portion of the judging. I suppose the judges can't taste all the entries of 1,600 chefs but isn't food for eating not looking at?

I like my food plain. Food is fuel. But I do admit, all the artwork created at the Culinary Olympics is definitely very pretty to look at.

No comments: